It hits me about the same time every year. When the last fun sized Milky Way wrapper is shamelessly tossed away and my palate aches for rich holiday foods. My spirits turn outwards and I think about the needs of others. I know I’m not the only one. Last year a federal study reported that 1 in 4 Americans spend time volunteering in their community.
As nonprofit professionals, we are aware that organizations have needs all year long. We know the value volunteers bring, so why not tap into the time of year that brings out our most altruistic qualities and recruit new volunteers to our cause? This year let’s share the holiday spirit and fill the needs of the nonprofit community in Oklahoma City. As we fill out our social calendars, set aside time to volunteer outside our own organizations and discover new causes in our community. Check out the list below of volunteer needs in Oklahoma City. Share with a friend and spread the cheer!
- Keep Oklahoma Beautiful is looking for a few volunteers to help out with their 25th Annual Environmental Excellence Awards Celebration and Fundraiser. Sign up here or contact Larissa Balzer at email@example.com or 405-286-9141 for more information.
- The YWCA is looking for Santa’s helpers for the “Santa Store,” where clients get vouchers to shop for new toys for children and a gift for mom/dad too. The YWCA hosts this event because financial abuse is often present in domestic violence situations and many clients do not have access to their money or are not allowed to work at all. The YWCA needs volunteers to help clients shop as well as wrap gifts. Additionally they are looking for donations of new items to stock their store. The “Santa Store” runs from December 12-30.
- Citizens Caring for Children needs volunteer shoppers on December 4. They collect wish lists for over 1,000 foster children in 2 days. This is a busy, fun and festive opportunity.
- Crafty volunteers, Ally’s House needs you! Volunteers are needed to wrap Christmas gifts for their annual holiday fundraiser. Supplies are provided, they just need your skills. Locations include: Outlet Shoppes in OKC, Sooner Fashion Mall and Bass Pro. For more info, contact Ally’s house at 405-793-2559 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sunbeam Family Services has been selected as one of the nonprofits who will benefit from the proceeds of the 2015 Glitter Ball on Film Row. They are looking for volunteers to help make the event a fun success. Volunteer early on December 12 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays with Santa by greeting and directing families. Volunteers 21 and older can come later from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. for set up, pick up and clean up for the event. You can also join the Sunbeam staff as they greet families who are visiting Santa’s Workshop and help children build a teddy bear, which will be donated to children in Sunbeam programs. Call Taprina Milburn at 405-609-1755 or email@example.com.
- The Lyric’s Plaza Theatre needs ushers and concessions salespeople for Lyric’s A Christmas Carol from December 2-27. Lyric’s A Christmas Carol brings to life the classic Dickens tale of Ebenezer Scrooge and how, with the help of the four holiday spirits, he revives the Christmas spirit within himself and those around him. Sign up here or contact Andrew Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Educare OKC will treat parents and children to a delicious fall feast. They need at least 20 volunteers to help set up, serve families and clean up. This is a great opportunity for individuals, as well as church community, sorority and fraternity, or student council groups. Contact Taprina Milburn at email@example.com.
- Catholic Charities is looking for volunteers to help decorate, greet families and help families select and wrap gifts at St. Nick’s Shoppe at Catholic Charities located 1501 N Classen Blvd. Visit averygivingchristmas.org to sign up to volunteer or call 405-609-1755.
- Join the Institute for Economic Empowerment of Women on December 1 for Dialing for a Decade: Volunteer Telethon. Celebrate Giving Tuesday with a fun, retro-style telethon. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Project Transformation is raising money by wrapping gifts for tips at Barnes & Noble. Volunteer gift-wrappers are needed for these shifts: Sun. Dec. 6th: 2pm-6pm, Thurs. Dec. 10th: 2pm-6pm, Fri. Dec. 11th: 2pm-6pm, Sat. Dec. 12th: 10am-2pm, Sun. Dec. 13th: 6pm-9pm, Wed. Dec. 16th: 2pm-6pm, Thurs. Dec. 17th: 2pm-6pm, Fri. Dec. 18th: 10am-2pm AND 2pm-6pm, Mon. Dec. 21st: 2pm-6pm, and Tues. Dec. 22nd: 10am-2pm AND 2pm-6pm. Contact Charlie Ludden to sign up at 405-530-2009 or email@example.com. Learn about Project Transformation here.
Written by Liz Caldwell, YNPN Networking Committee Volunteer and Environmental Coordinator for OERB